Senior Design Engineer - Body and Chassis
RECRUITER TEL NO.
Surrey / Remote
Position Title: Senior Design Engineer - Body and Chassis
Duration: Rolling Contract
Location: Surrey / Remote
• Support packaging, concept & styling feasibility studies and detailed design.
• Represent the department in design reviews and during test and development activities if required.
• Liaison with the rest of the design and engineering community, suppliers, manufacturing engineering and R&D team.
• Design components to meet cost targets while achieving challenging performance attributes and the lowest feasible weight.
• Coordinate design work to deliver timely design releases.
• Coordination of design activities carried out in-house and at suppliers.
• Build support (prototype and functional trials)
• Develop and specify GD&T data set on CAD models or drawing taking into account all inputs from parts suppliers, assembly processes and DM studies.
Knowledge, skills & experience:
• Strong passion for automotive design and development
• Sound understanding of mechanical design fundamentals
• Good material knowledge, with emphasis on high performance and lightweight materials
• Good understanding of manufacturing process & technologies
• Knowledge of assembly processes
• Good understanding of bolted and bonded mechanical joints design
• Good understanding of GD&T standards
• Experience of high and niche vehicle (low volume) programmes
• Knowledge of CATIA V5 is essential
• Understanding of FE analysis technique to drive structural design and its optimization is essential.
• Experience of CATIA V5 CPD or experience on equivalent composites design toolboxes would be beneficial.
• Experience of best drawing and modelling practises or methodologies would be beneficial.
• PC literate and at ease with MS Office products
• Ability to conduct DFMEA would be beneficial
Qualifications and Training
• Good-quality Mechanical or Automotive Engineering Degree 2:1 or above, or equivalent qualification.
• A passion for high performance engineering.
• Adopts a creative & thoughtful approach to concept design and solving engineering problems with good attention to detail.
• Excellent feasibility assessment skills including design for manufacture and DFMEA input
• A positive, proactive attitude with a high level of self motivation to deliver excellence.
• Well organised and independent – able to work constructively with minimal supervision.
• An engaging mind, open to new problems outside their normal comfort zone.
• A willingness to engage in debate and discussion.
• Empathy, a willingness to listen and see others’ points of view.
• Ability to communicate clearly with design and development groups
• Good team skills, willingness to work cross-functionally.
• Well organised and delivery focused – with demonstrable track record of on-time delivery.
• Capable of representing a world class automotive brand
• Able to deliver under pressure