Wire Harness Engineer
RECRUITER TEL NO.
Position Title: Wire Harness Engineer
Manage wire harness design and development
• Lead and own harness design (including PIA and end item components) for all assigned harness families for assigned projects
• Track open design issues affecting responsible harnesses (including components). Lead resolution and communication with customer, including using the customer AIMS system
• Lead Package investigations and development of solutions to EDS related package issues.
• Work with CAD Engineers to deliver 3D design solutions
• Adhere to Customer specifications and requirements while developing designs (SDS, MES, design guidelines)
• Adhere to internal specifications and requirements while developing designs (DFM, Cost, Procedures)
• Collaborate with CAD engineers and systems engineers to ensure implementation of design changes during program development, prototype and production build phases according to project timeline
• Deliver the EDS design according to the program timing plan and in accordance with internal and customer requirements
• Define retention and covering components (convolute, tape, etc.) to be used on the wire harness
• Create 2D drawing mark-up's with routing and systems content to initiate initial harness drawings and to implement design changes to existing drawings via engineering change documentation using Customer and Client Systems
• Check 2D drawings are in-line with the planned design and ensure accuracy of R&P and systems design prior to release.
• Complete and store checklist as evidence of compliance
• Participate in internal and customer meetings to support EDS design and development
• Take an active role in design reviews (First Piece Sign-Off), prototype harness and vehicle builds at company and customer locations.
• Identify, track and resolve EDS design and manufacturing issues.
• Participate in TVM, VA/VE and benchmarking activities.
• Generate, review and evaluate potential cost reduction ideas.
• Prepare add and delete lists to support feature cost estimations for new programs or TVM actions in conjunction with Systems Engineers
• Design / Engineer conceptual routings and package for EDS.
• Work with CAD Engineers to deliver 3D design
• Ensure design meets customer manufacturing and service requirements, review harness and component designs with customer manufacturing team to ensure feasibility for instillation into vehicle, including using the E2KS DPA5 process and DFM/DFA Processes
• Represent EDS routing designs in customer package meetings (Block meetings)
• Resolve EDS package issues by interfacing with other vehicle commodities
• Agree on and implement design changes according to the change management procedure
• Collaborate with Releasing and Systems Engineers to review customer product direction information and establish complexity for harnesses in area of responsibility
• Analyse required harness complexity to support customer within the constraints of manufacturing, sequencing, and optimized giveaway cost, for new design and design changes
• Prepare complexity reduction / optimisation proposals based on take rate, system cost, option usage, harness production, etc.
• Lead DFM design checks and interface with manufacturing plants to resolve non-compliance issues
• Identify the need for any sub-assemblies in the wire harness (e.g. Coax cable, Ethernet, USB, airbag squib connectors etc.) with support from systems engineers.
• Define required complexities based on feature, function and package.
• Add to project complexity file with support form releasing engineer
• Lead definition of sub-assemblies and follow change management procedure to create 2D drawings. Maintain 2D drawings through the design & serial production phases
• Work with EDS manufacturing plants to exchange information and to ensure feasibility and optimisation of design
• Create CPL's (Component Project List) for new material added to the harnesses / manufacturing plant, in area of responsibility
• Initiate NCRs (New Component Requests) and interface with Advanced Purchasing, Advanced Supplier Development, Provisional Component Engineering, and Components team for the development and approval of new-tooled components
• Communicate to customer the content and status of the design, design changes, and build requirements
EDS Design (General)
• Participate in TVM & VA/VE activities
• Participate in benchmarking activity
• Support new business related activities
• Assist with training of new staff
• Follow the department Quality System procedures and instructions
• Legally able to work in the UK
• Full Driving Licence
• Valid Passport
• Able to undertake Domestic and International travel with overnight stays away from home, sometimes at short notice
Formal education level completed:
• University degree
Specify field of apprenticeship or studies:
• Electrical, Mechanical or Automotive
Professional knowledge and skills
• Solid experience in design and development of vehicle wiring harnesses/automotive products
• Self-sufficient, self-motivated, proactive and excellent team-player
• Flexible, adaptable, diplomatic attitude
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Microsoft Office
• Catia V5
• Integrity & Trust
• Creativity & Innovation
• Continuous Improvement
• Functional knowledge & skills
• IT/Technology Proficiency
• Planning & Organizing
Leadership and Team Competence
• Cooperation & Networking
• Change Agility
• Ownership & Independence of Mind
• Dealing with Complexity
• Focus on Results