SQD Engineer – BIW & Composites
RECRUITER TEL NO.
Body & Trim
Surrey / Remote
Position Title: SQD Engineer – BIW & Composites
Duration: Rolling Contract
Location: Surrey / Remote
Purpose of the Role:
• You will be part of the BIW & Composites team within the Client SQD function reporting directly to SQA Manager and Head of, so experience in body panel manufacture and quality management is a must.
• This includes but is not limited to, hot and cold forming processes, casting, and assembly methods typical with aluminium body panels.
• And/or have experience in composite parts and panel manufacture, including SMC, RTM and pre-preg processes in carbon fibre and other lightweight composite materials.
• In addition to this, and due to the sensitivity of achieving class leading quality levels, both from a F&F and aesthetic perspective, you must be proficient in GD&T and measurement, including the ability to interpret datum strategies on large complex assemblies.
• This is a role which requires the candidate to work closely with the Suppliers, to ensure their Management Team are fully supporting The Client Quality and Capacity requirements.
• Provide leadership for assigned Suppliers to deliver the Client Supplier quality, capacity and timing requirements.
• Establish and maintain control of the supply base part Quality and part availability in support of the Client business objectives.
• Develop strategic Supply base improvement initiatives that underpin the Client continuous improvement ethos.
• Principal accountabilities:
• Work with Cross Functional partners to drive collaborative behaviours to achieve optimum outcome for The Client Profitability.
• Ensure new supplier site Sourcing is well researched to build and maintain a competent supply base.
• Support Supplier selection & development processes to achieve a self-sufficient supply base IATF 16949. Ensure Non IATF16949 suppliers deliver their certification qualification to the approved nomination plan.
• Support the implementation of APQP for all new tooled parts.
• Support Robust Manufacturing Feasibility strategy deployment and reviews.
• Ensure that allocated suppliers meet launch / delivery commitments in line with APQP
• Drive Supplier / Part Risk Assessments and develop risk mitigation actions.
• Identify Critical suppliers / parts that require full cross functional team engagement with the supplier.
• Provide supplier progress reporting to Purchasing and SQA Program team for: APQP open issues, PPAP part pedigree prior to each build phase and PPAP delivery forecast / actual confirmation.
• Track and manage PPAP part approval to agreed delivery plan.
• Manage Non PPAP part Concession process to ensure “Plan for every part” is established to support the builds. • Deliver Quality & Capacity Verification in line with MDP targets.
• Drive Major open issue resolution at Key suppliers, to ensure Supplier Senior Management team are fully engaged in the resolution process.
• Develop improvement strategies with suppliers and ensure they are delivered
• Coach and mentor the team Knowledge, skills & experience:
• Understanding of complete supply chain within The Client and the suppliers
• Understand the Manufacturing process within MPC
• Ability to interrogate Programme plans and evaluate supplier’s ability to deliver, quality on time to meet company milestones.
• Must be capable of planning manufacture of their components at the supplier from goods in, to despatch, if required.
• Capable of carrying out effective scenario planning to establish potential mitigation actions, if required.
Essential Functional / Technical Skills
• Technical Engineering qualified to Degree standard, or equivalent experience.
• Must have previous experience in supplier quality assurance, including multiple new model launches.
• Experience of leading suppliers through APQP
• Have an excellent understanding of: PPAP, MSA, APQP, FMEA, SPC,
• Demonstrated structured approach to Problem Solving (8D)
• Practical use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SAP and CATIA Personal Attributes / Competencies
• Highly motivated, team player who can lead by example and act with integrity
• Good communication skills to deal with people of all levels both within The Client and at Suppliers
• Well organised and delivery focused, with a demonstrable track record of on-time delivery in a high-pressure environment
• Self-sufficient with ability to prioritise workload and request help when appropriate
• A fast learner
• Flexibility in terms work patterns and travel, including short notice travel
• Capable of representing a world class automotive brand